Resources to help you grow your agency
This is a curated list of agency growth / agency partner consultants, coaches, bigger firms, podcasts, platform vendors and more.
I’m not advocating that you engage them for their services, I’m recommending that you read or listen to what they have to say about our collective industry.
I cover all areas of ‘agency growth’ support but I’ll refer you to someone more specialist (e.g. finance) if appropriate.
And I put together this big list of agency growth resources in the spirit of helpfulness e.g. you don’t have to engage with me or even let me know you were here (be nice if you did though!) .. just help yourself to all the blog posts, podcasts, books and videos via the links to these clever folk.
Read enough? Want to get straight to tangible support? I’m your man. Please get in touch and I’ll help you get sustainable growth for your agency in just 3 days.
Smart Insights Agency Growth Toolkit
Smart Insights have a huge amount of digital marketing learning materials AND a specific section that supports agency growth.
I write the majority of the content for the Agency Growth Hub section for Smart Insights agency members to use.
But I also work directly with agencies, so you can engage with me here if you want to move on from the online guides.
Agency Growth Coaches and Consultants
- Karl Sakas http://sakasandcompany.com/blog/
- Jason Swenk: http://jasonswenk.com/
- David Crawford / Digital Strategy Unit http://thedigitalstrategyunit.co.uk/blog/
- Jenny Plant (focussed on nurturing great account handlers.) http://www.accountmanagementskills.com/blog/
- Robert Solomon: http://adventuresinclientservice.com/
- Chris Do / The Futur: https://www.thefutur.com/agency-owners-increase-close-rate-raise-revenue/
- Recourse / David C Baker: https://www.recourses.com/recourses-blog-david-c-baker
- Ian Brodie: https://www.ianbrodie.com
- Felix Velarde: http://felixvelarde.com
- Robert Craven: http://robert-craven.com/blog/
- John Doherty (John is a platform developer and an agency coach too) http://www.johnfdoherty.com/blog/
- Balanced Impact – Digital Marketing Growth Advisory: https://www.balancedimpact.co.
- Mark Kelly Consultancy (me.. in case this list appears away from my website) https://markkellyconsultancy.com
Larger agency growth consultancies
- Ignition Consulting: Ignition Consulting Group Blog
- Waypoint Partners: http://waypointpartners.co.uk/thinking/
- Form (leadership development) http://www.weareform.com/blog/
- Prosper group http://prospergroup.net/
- Cact.us http://cact.us
- Trinity P3 https://www.trinityp3.com/blog/
- R3 Worldwide http://www.rthree.com/en/
- Pip development – http://pipdevelopment.co/index
Agency New Business focused
- John Heenan: http://www.jheenan.com/
- WordUp: http://www.wordup.agency
- Hunter and Farmer http://karlamoraleslee.com/news_blog/
- Michael Gass / Fuel Lines: http://www.fuelingnewbusiness.com/
- Incite New Business: https://incitenewbusiness.co.uk/category/latest-incites/
- Gunpowder Consulting: http://www.gunpowderconsulting.co.uk/blog
- The List / Winmo: https://www.winmo.com/blog/
- Gray Matters: Gray Matters
- Sanderson Consulting: http://www.sandersconsulting.com/newbusinesshawk/
- Jody Sutter: http://www.thesuttercompany.com
- RSW/US: https://www.rswus.com/
- Jill Konrath: (great sales focus): https://www.jillkonrath.com/sales-blog
- Blair Enns / WWP: http://www.winwithoutpitching.com/articles/
- Duval Partnership: http://info.duvalpartnership.com/blog
- Peter Levitan: http://peterlevitan.com/
- Data Hive: https://www.data-hive.co.uk/blog
- Co:definery : http://www.codefinery.com/
- Mirren: https://www.mirren.com/
- Ark Advisors: http://www.ark-advisors.com/
- Ben Potter: linkedin.com/in/bpotter/
- Wayout Consulting / Andrew Morgan: https://www.wayoutconsulting.co.uk/
- Bread Winner: https://breadwinneragencies.com/
- Future Factory: https://thefuturefactory.co.uk/
Agency marketing systems / platform providers
who serve (and write about) agencies
- Hubspot Agency Blog: https://blog.hubspot.com/agency
- Core dna – digital experience SaaS platform: https://www.coredna.com/blogs/
- Scale – agency resource management solution: http://www.belighted.com/scale/blog
- Function Point – all things project management: http://www.functionpoint.com/blog/
- Better Proposals https://betterproposals.io/blog/
- Synergist – job costing and pm platform: https://www.synergist.co.uk/blog
- The Agency Works (UK partners with Synergist but distinct thought pieces on their blog) http://theagencyworks.co.uk/blog/
- Agency Analytics: https://agencyanalytics.com/blog/
- SharpSpring: https://sharpspring.com/blog/
- Ruler Analytics: https://www.ruleranalytics.com/blog/
Finance or Legal service insights for Agencies
- My Accountancy Place – accountants focusing on serving agencies: https://myaccountancyplace.co.uk/
- WOW – accountants focusing on serving agencies: http://www.thewowcompany.com/success-stories/
- Advertising Audit & Risk Management (insights on agency remuneration etc from the client perspective – useful reading for agencies) http://www.aarmusa.com/blog/
- ‘Bury the billable hour’ (and timesheet!): http://verasage.com/blog/
- Sharon Toerek / Legal and Creative: http://www.legalandcreative.com/category/agency-client-relationships/
- WardWilliams Creative – business support, accountancy and tax advice for agencies and creative businesses
Agency owner communities / networks
- The Agency Collective: https://theagencycollective.co.uk/ (created by cact.us and WOW, above)
- Paul Roetzer / Marketing Agency insider: http://www.marketingagencyinsider.com/blog
- Second Wind: https://www.secondwindonline.com/
- The Drum’s agency network: http://www.thedrum.com/network
- The Agency Management Institute – includes agency owner networks: https://agencymanagementinstitute.com/blog/
Agency owner and senior team development
Agency owners can often be ‘accidental leaders’, here are some books and courses I have come across that hopefully help you to develop.
Note .. where these are books, I’ve provided straight links, not affiliate links, click with impunity.
- Good Boss / Bad Boss http://goodbadboss.com/
- The Road to Recognition: http://www.theroadtorecognition.com/
- Hyper Island (an extension to their previous Accidental Leader course) : https://www.hyperisland.com/programs-and-courses/hyper-island-way
- Rand Fishkin (more tech startup than an agency but great insight): Lost and Founder
- The Kitchen Table Agency Owner: John Ashton’s insight into becoming an Agency Owner
- The economics of agency growth: Agencynomics
- Building a remarkable (digital) agency: The Agency Build Grow Repeat
- How to Buy a Gorilla (aimed at advertisers looking to get more from their agency selection and service procurement.. but good insight for you the agency owner): How to Buy a Gorilla
Account Handler development
Account handlers (or client services, terms vary) are the bedrock of great agencies (alongside awesome creatives, genius coders and data and media experts of course!).
But they can often come straight out of college or university and be thrown in, as an exec, into the deep end with little or no training across a range of skills. Or if we’re talking about undergraduates or school leavers / apprentice level looking to move into marketing and the agency world, they’ll be asking questions like: what does a creative agency account manager do? What skills should an account manager have?
The organisations below may be of help in answering those questions:
- Institute of Advertising Practitioners in Ireland (IAPQ) : https://www.iapi.ie/events/how-to-be-the-best-account-handler-in-your-agency
- Marketing Agencies Association: http://www.marketingagencies.org.uk/event-excellence-in-account-management
- Rock and A Hard Place : http://www.randhp.com/how-to-be-the-best-account-handler-in-your-agency
- Account Management Skills : http://www.accountmanagementskills.com/products/
- Second Wind: https://www.secondwindonline.com/certified-account-executive-college-april
- Mirren Group – agency strategy training: https://mirrengrouptraining.com/agency-strategy/
- IPA Client Relationship group: http://www.ipa.co.uk/groups/Client-Relationship
- DD&AD: https://www.dandad.org/en/d-ad-customer-relationship-management-creative-training-course/
And I have resources on my Agency Growth Shop that will serve a fledgeling account handler / account manager well: https://markkelly.selz.com/
Pod and vod casts on #agencylife and #agencygrowth
- The Creative Agency Podcast. http://www.creativeagencypodcast.com/
- Gunpowder Consulting: Felix Velarde’s podcast: http://www.gunpowderconsulting.co.uk/blog
- The Bureau Briefing: from Bureau Of Digital, a podcast as well as an agency owners community: http://bureauofdigital.com/radio/bureau-briefing/
- 2 Bobs: https://2bobs.com/
- Agency Dealmastesr B2B podcast: https://agencydealmasters.com/podcast/
- Build a Better Agency: https://agencymanagementinstitute.com/agency-owner-podcast/
- Agency Thinking: Agency Thinking podcast for agency growth
- The pod/vodcast behind the Agencynomics book: Agencyphonics
- The Soul of Enterprise: wider services businesses but includes agency managment insights.
Reboot or Grow your agency in 3 days
Not enough time to read all the resources above?
Want to get straight into a plan and activities that will lead to sustainable growth for your agency in just 3 days?
Please get in touch.